Now is the time to get your store online and expand into grocery e-commerce.
With new emerging technologies and the rise in online consumer demand as a result of the pandemic, grocery e-commerce and digital transformation are here to stay.
The need for online grocery
Several grocery e-commerce trends are shaping the industry in 2021, and one thing is for certain: online grocery shopping isn’t going anywhere. As our digital world grows to become more advanced, customers have come to expect a convenient and modern online shopping experience, even for groceries.
After the pandemic pushed many consumers toward online shopping, grocery chains are now feeling the pressure to scale to digital platforms more than ever. Niche grocery stores with specialty products, in particular, require specific infrastructures and functionalities to run a successful online business.
Luckily, digital transformation for grocery retailers is easy with modern technology. Through tailored e-commerce solutions and innovations such as headless commerce, microservices and APIs, grocers can enable digital touch-points to create unique online customer experiences, just like in-store.
What to consider for your grocery e-commerce platform
Choosing the best e-commerce solution to suit your business’ needs might be a challenge, but here are some helpful factors to consider:
- Cost: What are you willing to spend to initially transform your business digitally and monthly?
- Customer service: Ensure the platform you choose puts customers first and allows your business to retain control over customer experience from every touch-point.
- Growth: Consider long-term and short-term goals. How do you want a potential commerce platform to support your business’ needs now and down the road?
- Features: The platforms you are considering must have the right tools and integrations to run your business successfully. This includes accounting plugins, email marketing features, and more.
- Mobile: Ensure that your platform is easy to navigate on a mobile device, as an increasing number of consumers prefer to use their smartphones to make purchases.
With these factors in mind, we have handpicked a list of the top 5 e-commerce platforms to help you get your grocery store online.
Top 5 grocery e-commerce platforms
Built exclusively for grocers
Emporix is the only headless e-commerce software built exclusively for grocers. Now, with minimal investment and predictable costs, grocers can set up online ordering and delivery services with ease. An intuitive back-office helps manage products, orders and customers. And a microservices architecture enables agile development for online stores in record times. Grocery chains can now effortlessly expand into e-commerce and deliver a superior online shopping experience for customers at every digital touch-point. With 10 years of grocery experience paired with state-of-the-art technology, Emporix has everything needed to run a successful and profitable online grocery store.
Focus: Grocery e-commerce
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Built for B2B, B2C and marketplaces
Spryker provides commerce experiences for B2B, B2C, and marketplaces. As a platform-as-a-service solution with over 800 API-based modules, cloud-enabled, enterprise-ready, and loved by developers and business users worldwide, Spryker provides a system to increase operational efficiency.
Focus: B2B ecommerce
3. Naveo Commerce
End-to-end eCommerce, OMS and fulfillment technology
Naveo Commerce is an end-to-end eCommerce solution, providing eCommerce website consultancy and implementation. Features include a cloud-based SaaS solution, with a headless commerce engine, OMS, and fulfillment technology.
Focus: End-to-end eCommerce
Location: Sörnäinen, Helsinki
Engage with customers on multiple platforms
commerceTools is a platform for B2C and B2B commerce, with a headless, API-first, multi-tenant SaaS commerce platform that is cloud-native and uses flexible microservices. Microservices are customizable and allow businesses to reduce development time and include a merchant center with a PIM, allowing owners to maintain data, discounts and more.
Focus: B2B and B2C commerce
Location: München, Bayern
Driven by data and customer feedback
The GrocerKey omnicommerce platform is designed to integrate with a retailer’s existing merchandising, loyalty, and point-of-sale technologies. The platform includes store-based picking, delivery management, and a mobile self-checkout capability to ensure the customer’s experience is consistent on all channels.
Focus: Grocery eCommerce
Location: Madison, WI
These top 5 B2B commerce platforms enable traditional brick and mortar businesses and grocery chains to make the digital transition with ease.
Benefits of a grocery e-commerce platform
- Get ahead of the competition by utilizing a headless commerce software solution
- Cut time to market with grocery-specific features for local and chain businesses alike
- Own the user experience, customer relationships and operations in full
- Quickly and easily expand into digital channels and get your store online
- Effectively manage your products and inventory
- Streamline online orders and fulfillment
- Efficiently pick and pack orders
Effortlessly coordinate delivery zones and time slots
- Deliver a superior online shopping experience
- Provide stellar customer service with shopping cart options
- Easily push seasonal promotions
Taking the next step in digital expansion might be intimidating, but the availability of e-commerce solutions to prepare you for growth has never been more accessible.
To learn more about how Emporix’s headless commerce software can help your grocery chain launch your new digital storefront and run a successful online grocery business, click here or get in touch with us using this form.